how to get a hazmat endorsement

Professional truck drivers know endorsements can have a significant effect on earning potential. Transporting hazardous material typically means higher-paying truck driving jobs. Truckers with a Hazmat endorsement should have more job choices and are in higher demand. Carriers who move hazardous material often keep drivers with generous compensation packages and perks. You may even get to use today’s cutting-edge technology too. If you want to take your truck driving career to the next level, getting your hazmat endorsement should be a priority.

Here’s what it takes to get a hazmat endorsement:

Basic Requirements

  1. U.S. citizenship or permanent legal resident status over 21 years of age.
  2. Valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) in the state where you’re applying.
  3. Valid medical examiner’s certificate, or DOT medical card, issued by approved DOT medical examiner.

Additional Requirements*

  1. Pass Hazardous Materials Endorsement Knowledge test. Hazardous Materials section of the Commercial Driver License Manual.
  2. Complete online HazMat endorsement application.
  3. Schedule an appointment online or call 855-347-8371, then visit a TSA Application Center with a U.S. passport or driver’s license and birth certificate, and application fee. 

Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin, residents should visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles to apply and fingerprint information.

Typically, a background check is complete in 30 to 45 days. Results are received in the mail, and your state’s DMV will be notified. Check your application status.

Get your Hazmat endorsement and work for Tri-State Motor Transport.

Hazmat endorsed truck drivers apply here.

Company benefits include 100% employer-paid health insurance, paid vacation, and weekly pay.

$2,000 transition bonus payable in the first three weeks.

Average pay is $1,300 – $2,000 per driver/per week.

Since April 1, 2020, we are privileged to pay out over $500,000 in additional COVID-related funding to our drivers.

*Tri-State Motor Transport requires drivers to be 23 years or older and have a minimum of one year of recent OTR experience.